Friday, November 30, 2007

Sydney Part II

All packed and ready to go. We cheated this time and Raff caught a taxi with all the luggage to our new accommodation. Ella and I walked, pushing Charlotte in the pram and Lucy strapped on my front in the Ergo. Oh the room! After sharing one little room for the best part of the week, to have separate bedrooms and a kitchen and a bathroom!

We were on the 14th floor with a gorgeous view across Sydney. We settled in and awaited mum and dads arrival. They were a bit delayed as there was a pretty fierce electrical storm, so they were not allowed to alight from the plane.

The next morning we climbed the Harbour Bridge. I was extremely nervous, but to be honest it was nowhere near as scary as I thought it might be and we really enjoyed it. I was more nervous leaving Lucy with mum and dad for the longest time of her life so far! She was fine. I was fine. That evening Raff and I went to meet some of my online friends - “the people from inside my computer” as Ella says. It was a blast, a quick hour zoomed in to 5, and we rocked up home at 11pm.

Bright and early the next morning, mum and dad went and climbed the bridge and Raff went off to a full day conference. The girls and I just hung out until mum and dad finished and we wandered down to Sydney city to check out all the Christmas displays. We visited the Magic Cave and had a look at the Nutcracker window display @ David Jones.

Saturday I had organised for a photographer friend Cupcakes Photography to take photos of my family in Hyde Park. Unfortunately the day dawned wet and cold, so we only managed a few in the park. The rest were taken in our (thankfully well-lit) apartment. After that was done with we went to have a coffee and work out what to do with the afternoon. Mum and dad ended up taking the girls to Glebe and Jubilee Park (apparently where Pearlie the Park Fairy lives) Raff and I and Lucy wandered around trying to work out what we were hungry for. After eating out for every lunch and dinner for the last 9 or so days we were a bit over food really. Finally I decided that a nice platter of antipasto stuff to be picked at would hit the spot. We were just about to give up looking at around 2pm when we found a Greek restaurant. Mmm, haloumi, fetta, anchovies, olives, calamari - the 5 food groups!

For the gazillionth time we were told how content and beautiful Lucy was. Baby wearing is very very cool. In theory Lucy should be our cleverest, most sociable, most securely attached, most physically agile child, as she has spent a huge percentage of her little life in the sling and now the Ergo (big plug to Babes in arms, who had my new Ergo on my doorstep all the way from Tasmania 20 hours after I ordered it online, and a huge thanks to my friend Rhiannon for lending us hers for the trip!)

That evening we sat in and watched the election results. We have a new Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd. All very exciting after 11 years of John Howard. I look forward to sitting back and observing how it all pans out. I am lucky enough to have some great communication with some very intelligent and politically savvy women that can decipher all the info that is out there in this regard.

Sunday we visited Taronga Zoo. What a lovely place! I dread to think how many km’s we walked that day, but it was really worth it (Credit to Ella here – the owner of the draggiest feet in Gawler, really pulled her socks up in Sydney and walked everywhere – begging for the pram, the Ergo, anything intermittently, but overall putting in a sterling effort) We caught a train, then a ferry, then the skyrail in to the zoo. What a magnificent entry! There was plenty to see.

Our accommodation had a rooftop pool, so the wonderful men took the girls up for a final swim and spa. We packed up and were ready to go. The final of Australian Idol was on that night. Never watched the show in my life, but it was pretty exciting to hear fireworks in stereo! We dashed up to the roof top to see if we could see the. Waiting, waiting for the lift, me in my bright orange Crocs, pink PJ bottoms with bumble bees on and a white tshirt declaring me a Breastfeeding Goddess. Imagine the shades of red my face turned when that lift door opened, filled to the brim with people (men!). And bugger it all, we got up on the roof to hear the very last firework and saw none.

Oooh, I must make mention of the bats in Sydney. Every night on sunset thousands and thousands of bats fly across the city. It was a very very freaky sight, and one that I am very glad that I was behind glass to witness. Bats sit up next to huntsmen spiders and mice on my fear-o-meter.

A lovely plane trip and then we were home, planning our next trip or two. It looks like Melbourne in March-ish and Brisbane later in the year. Can’t wait!!


Our Lucy

View from the 14th floor

Skyrail

Elephant girls @ Taronga

2 comments:

Nana Gabe said...

We had a ball in "Sydeny" as Charlotte calls it when you ask her where they went on the plane. The girls where fantastic. We were so proud of Ella as she walked everywhere. I put my pedometer on one day and we had walked over 10 kms and that was a slow day in kms. We had a lovely apartment and hoped we didn't get in the way too much.Thanks Raff and Nicole for being well behaved. Father xmas might visit you. You and Rachel can have the money we would have spent on Adam and Eva seeing they won't be back anytime soon

Nicole S said...

You got in the way heaps! While you were doing dishes, while you were buying dinner, while you were looking after our children, while you were paying for our accomodation ...

Sheesh, never again! :p